Screen savers don’t serve too many purposes. The feature only helps to hide the screen of your device and make it appear cool. Those who own a Chromebook can enable a screen saver with their personal information and photos. You may turn any Chrome OS device into a smart display. The Chrome operating system’s screen saver appears very much similar to a Smart Display backdrop or a Chromecast. It shows music playing, time, and weather. The users can pull the background images from their curated art gallery or Google Photos account. It makes it look like a Smart Display, but it doesn’t have any features of the Google Assistant.
Before you learn to enable a personalized screen saver, you should know the primary purpose that a screen saver often serves. Despite known as screen savers, the feature no longer saves battery or anything else. On the contrary, they waste electricity. Besides, the feature is not necessary on modern and flat-panel LCD screens that we use today. The new screen saver automatically turns off the display of your computer. It increases the battery life of the device, reduces your electricity bill, and saves energy.
Power Saving Vs. Screen Savers
Most people think that screen savers save energy. But, it’s a myth. Instead, screen savers use more energy to play the animation and keep the display on the screen. For example, a graphics-intensive based 3D screensaver can use more energy in rendering complicated 3D graphics while using the graphics hardware and putting your device into gaming mode. Modern-day displays come equipped with features for saving power. You can make settings in your computer to power off the display automatically when not using it instead of setting your device for displaying a screen saver. It will save battery power on your laptop and also your electricity.
Here is how you can change the settings of your computer when it turns off its display automatically.
- First of all, you will need to press the Windows key.
- After typing Turn off display, you will need to press the Enter button.
However, if you still want to enable a screen saver on your device, it is also not difficult to do. Instead, you can enable a personalized screen saver on your Chromebook.
To Enable a Personalized Screen Saver, the users will need to follow these guidelines.
- First of all, the users will need to choose the clock.
- You will need to go to the Shelf to choose the clock.
- After then, the users will need to tap on the gear icon.
- It will open the Settings menu for you.
- You will need to choose the “Personalization” option appearing in the left sidebar from the Settings panel.
- Now, you will need to tap on “Screen Saver,” appearing under the section “Personalization.”
- After then, the users will need to toggle on the switch “On.”
- Now, you will get the few options of personalization that you will require to work with.
- Go to the section “Background.”
- You will need to select between “Art Gallery” or “Google Photos.”
- The users will choose from a few different albums from each one, i.e., Google Photos or Art Gallery.
- The users can select from their albums.
- Once you made your selections for the background, go to the “Weather” option and select “Celsius” or “Fahrenheit.”
These are the overall steps that you need to do. Once you enable it, the screen saver will start automatically when you are not using your device. It will take six to eight minutes on battery power or when plugged in respectively. If you want to enjoy the screen saver for a much longer time, then follow these steps.
- First of all, go to the Settings menu
- Click on Settings to open it.
- Now, you will need to select ” Device.”
- Click on the “Device” option.
- After then, click on the “Power” option.
- Here, you will need to select “Keep Display On.” when your device is idle while on battery or charging.
Finally, you have enabled the personalized screen saver to give you customized background images and useful information. It should make your Chromebook look much nicer when you are not using it.